Think of this review as a “two for one”… one review that tells you all the things we love about both Mother’s Market and Mother’s Kitchen. Shop healthy, eat healthy! Mother’s makes it easy to meet your needs, whichever one you choose.
If you know, you know and in this case, if you know Mother’s Market has a restaurant at several of their locations, you also know that it’s a great place to eat. It’s the original non-GMO, organic, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, healthy place to shop and eat. With seven locations in Orange County, it's likely there is one near you.
When it comes to stocking your kitchen and cooking at home, Mother’s Market has a lot of great ways to fill your cart. They carry all the basics for stocking a kitchen from brands that have “healthy” in mind. Don’t let the lack of a butcher counter deter you from making this a regular place to do your grocery shopping. And while they are well-known for their grocery store, don’t rule them out as a place to sit down for a restaurant meal.
The list is long when it comes to reasons we like Mother’s… here are a few of the things that keep us going back:
- A great selection of fresh, organic produce, clearly marked as to its origin. We find that our produce items from Mother’s start off fresher and last longer than what we buy at other markets.
- A big variety of dairy items from grass-fed cows, non-dairy selections that are not available in other markets. They even sell raw milk from grass-fed cows and delicious cashew milk yogurts.
- They have a long aisle full of bulk-item bins that offer everything from nuts and seeds to grains and nutritional yeast. You can even grind your own nut butter.
- Need a new probiotic? Omega-3’s? Natural cold remedy? The supplements department has one of the most knowledgeable and helpful staffs of any place we’ve been. You can depend on them to help connect your needs with the right, reputable products they sell.
- Yes, they offer a few animal protein choices. Air-chilled, organic chicken, turkey and chicken sausages and a small fish selection.
And how about when you’re hungry and don’t feel like cooking? Mother’s Kitchen, deli and juice bar all come to the rescue.
- They offer smoothies and fresh-juiced fruits and vegetables, all customizable, all made with organic produce. Some of our favorites are the Green Goddess, the Aloha Goddess and when we catch a cold, the Ginger Pineapple Shot does wonders for our immune system.
- A prepared foods hot food bar and deli counter offer delicious vegan and vegetarian options. Make your own salad, scoop up some Indian inspired Curry Tofu, or fill your plate with fresh cooked veggies. Love olives? They have an olive bar with abundant choices. We love the Living Hummus Wrap and the chickpea wrap available at the deli counter, too!
If you want to sit down and enjoy a restaurant meal, then Mother’s can accommodate you. The restaurant portion of each location serves a huge variety of hot and cold items.
- They use organic as often as possible (posted on a sign each day).
- They have a great breakfast special that rotates monthly. $3.99 for a warm breakfast, this month is the Texas Scramble (Costa Mesa location).
- There are so many choices for lunch and dinner that you could eat there daily and not get bored with the choices. Soups, salads, wraps, tacos and burritos, sandwiches and “burgers”, bowls and hot pastas. One of our favorites is the Tahini Fusion Wrap (grilled tempeh, bean sprouts, tomatoes, organic mixed greens, brown rice, avocado and tahini dressing in an organic, whole wheat tortilla or collard green wrap).
Want to see more of what they serve? Here's the link to their menu
If shopping at a natural foods store is new to you, don’t let the unfamiliarity of product labels scare you off. Our shopping guide (free download when you join our email list) gives you guidelines and the more frequently you shop there, the faster you’ll come to love the brands that bring you healthy options for all of your at home cooking. Mother's Market is a great place to do your regular grocery shopping, stock up on supplements, get a smoothie or food to go and to sit down for a meal where someone else does the cooking. Is Mother's Market and Kitchen already one of your go-to places? We'd love to hear what your favorites are... let us know in the comments below!